Wednesday, July 2, 2008

First impressions.

I'm so sorry that my blog hasn't been updated for a few days! I have been so extremely busy that I literally have not had time. We teach from 9am until 2pm and then from 5pm until about 9:15pm. So those few hours in between we are sleeping or preparing a lesson for the evening classes!

The students are so amazing, and they like how I try to speak Slovene! They laugh at me a lot actually. In the evening, I have an average of five adult students. They are so eager to learn, and they are even excited about the times that Tony, the local pastor, comes and shares from the Bible (even though most of them are not Christians).

I absolutely love the culture!! They feed us so much, it's amazing. So far I've had pasta, potatoes, the most pork I have ever eaten in my life. But I love it!


I also went to Italy at the beginning of my trip and took a tour on the grand canal. The weather was so beautiful! My friends, Paul and Jule, stayed with me in a little hotel right off the canal, in the center of Venice. I can't even believe how inexpensive glass is and how expensive ice cream is. Yes, we went to Saint Mark's Square and ate ice cream that was 15 euros (each).

I have really been enjoying the language differences as well. When I was in the Frankfurt airport, I asked a girl if there was a drinking fountain in the airport. She said, "No, but I'll give you a cup and you can get water from the toilet. It's clean." For all those "non-travelers"out there, that just means the bathroom. But it was hilarious.

I hope things are going well over there! Please pray for us as we interact with the Slovenes and form relationships with them! They are such a beautiful people, and God has already worked in so many lives over here.

I will put pictures up when I get another bit of free time!
-Lyz

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, awesome. I would love to visit Italy some day. That picture looks like something out of a movie or travel book. Have fun!!

Janice said...

It is great to get an update on your trip. I'm glad you are enjoying yourself and I hope you continue to be a blessing to the Slovene people you meet.

Hilarious story about getting water from the toilet!

Laura B. said...

Enjoying your blog and hope that you continue to have an amazing time! Miss you and praying for you!